[OSM-dev] Garmin GPX madness

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at gmx.de
Mon Sep 22 14:08:47 BST 2008

Btw PPCs can bounce and swim, too :). http://www.andres-industries.de/rugged_pda/

If you use a GPS mouse with built in memory you can record quite a lot for a long time.  That solution has a few more  advantages compared to a Garmin:

* Waypoints with real timestamps, unlimited comment fields, UTF-8 and side information like images
* Tracks with all information if neccessary
* Maps without limitations. Nothing competes with a real nice raster map while you are hiking.
* You can upgrade your GPS receiver very easily.

Sure the price is in the upper range, but if I compare it to the stash I spent on my Garmin 60SCx 3 years ago it's reasonable. Especially if you take into account that my Garmin never made me really happy.

Thus Garmin is not the only option on earth.

Oliver

-------- Original-Nachricht --------