[OSM-dev] A bit of developer philosophy...

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:34:42 BST 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com> wrote:
> I consider implementing KML import in Merkaartor.
> While it would be a perfectly legit feature as KML is a standard
> (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/kml), I also know that it could be
> used to import copyright protected stuff into OSM, even by mistake.

You are writing an editor, you're no more to blame for user copyright
infringements than the FSF is if someone uses GNU Emacs for similar
purposes. People may have legitimate uses for using KML and they may
not even want to use the resulting data with OSM, maybe they're just
using the OSM data format.