[OSM-dev] Atom feed kind of thing

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Thu Apr 2 13:08:28 BST 2009

pa yo wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
> I guess I could use osmosis to update a local copy of planet and then
> teach myself some SQL so I could make my own atom feeds - which does
> sound quite fun - but it would probably be even more likely to make my
> brain explode than wrestling with SAX ... or trying to reverse
> engineer universal feedparser.

Yep, fair enough :-)
> I suspect that as the project gets bigger and bigger more and more of
> us "non-devs" will want access to some sort of easily parsed data.

Okay then, what kind of data is more easily parsed than xml?  At the end
of the day, even an RSS feed is still xml.  At this point I probably
should make the comment that the minute feeds are designed to be a
minimal mechanism for allowing consumers up-to-date access to OSM data
without imposing a large overhead on the central db server.  They're not
intended to be used directly by end users, rather as a means of keeping
alternate data stores in potentially different data formats current.  It
makes no assumptions about how consumers store their data locally or
what they do with it.  Any analysis or manipulation of the data is
intended to be performed offline at the consumer end thus maximising
scalability.

It all comes down to what you're trying to achieve.  That will drive
what data you need, how frequently you need it, how you access it, and
in what format you need it to be stored.