[OSM-dev] Fwd: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Tijs Zwinkels openStreetMap at tumblecow.net
Fri Apr 3 11:33:44 BST 2009

So, I've decided to take on this project. :)
I'm currently writing my proposal, which I'll post to the wiki and submit at
the GSoC site in 1 ~ 2 hrs time. (let me know if you want to see the
intermediate versions, I can just post to the wiki whatever I have already)

Just bouncing a few last ideas, mainly to define the scope of the project:
- I've decided to focus on the automatic reading of street signs, and not
specificly on the recognition of other items in the environment. However,
one of the most challenging parts of this project is to segment street-signs
from images succesfully, and I'll be using SIFT (among other things) for
that. I fully expect the toolset that I develop to be very useful in
recognizing other objects as well.
- Since street-signs look differently in different parts of the world, for
now I'll just try to automatically read dutch street-signs. I think this
will give me enough variance to struggle with for now. :) - ofcourse, it
shouldn't be hard to adapt this work to foreign street signs.
- There is a large difference between whether the software should be able to
catch and read street signs that just happen to be in a picture, or whether
people took a picture with the intention of capturing a street sign. (by
which we would view the sign from a relatively straight angle with a
reasonably high resolution, not too much reflection, etc)
For now I'll assume the latter case. If the performance is reasonable, we
can always scale up to the more difficult cases.

- Tijs Zwinkels