[OSM-dev] JOSM and API 0.6

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sat Apr 4 17:28:53 BST 2009

On 2 Apr 2009, at 07:13, <marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com> <marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
 > wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:10:37 +0100, Shaun McDonald
> <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:
>>> So if someone downloads and starts using JOSM today, will it
>>> automatically switch over next month when the API changes, or will
>>> users need to fiddle their config?
>>>

>> No.
>>
>> They currently need to fiddle with the config. I believe that on the
>> first day of the API being down JOSM will be updated to by default
>> use
>> 0.6, at which point no more fiddling will be needed. I believe that
>> Merkaartor is the same, though the fiddling is a lot simpler.
>>
>> I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
>
> Just don't forgat that users have lots of v0.5 -maps still lying on
> their hard-disk at and after that date. So the default should also
> set alternatice accepted versions.

If you are on the JOSM-dev list, you will have noticed that Fredrik is
working on improving the cross API version support, especially now
that there is a versionless capabilities call in the current live API,
like in API 0.6. Hopefully more editors will make use of the
capabilities call in the future.

Shaun