[OSM-dev] ANNOUNCE: OpenStreetMap maps will be added to Wikimedia projects

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Apr 5 13:27:31 BST 2009

Erik Johansson wrote:

> Has anyone done work on getting Google maps "my maps" like features on
> OSM? I'm guessing this is something that will be interesting for
> Wikipedia, visualizing routes, POI and custom labels. This is database
> forking lite.. :-)

There is absolutely nothing to stop people creating sites with such
features using our data.

I assume you are suggesting that we should have such a thing on the home
page, but the feeling has always been that it isn't really in our remit
to do such things - the goal of the project is to provide the data that
allows people to build clever applications not to build them ourselves.

Yes we have our own map, but that is mostly to showcase the data and the
feeling has tended to be that we should turning it into a full featured
clone of google maps.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)