[OSM-dev] JOSM: Several tags with same key

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 09:41:33 BST 2009

If you look at other keys you will find wider use of the semi colon. At the
moment for instance the OSMers in the west midlands are hitting bus stops
hard and we are using the route_ref=45;56;78;905;907;998A;998C format. I
started out many moons ago using a pipe to separate values but realised
later on that most people were using semicolons so modified my editing
style. I’ve been using semicolons to separate values for a couple of years.

For mappers we need the simplest quickest way of entering the data, and this
works for us. I don’t really care if that makes it more difficult to process
the data in the database, that’s not important while building the database
of data.

Cheers
Andy