[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Automatic Street-Sign Detection and Reading - was: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Tijs Zwinkels openStreetMap at tumblecow.net
Thu Apr 9 11:59:32 BST 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Matt Amos wrote:

> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Tijs Zwinkels
> > <openStreetMap at tumblecow.net> wrote:
> > > I mean, come on, one of these methods must be able to detect street
> signs.
> > > :)
> >
> > i stumbled across a paper about tracking text in videos[1]. maybe some
> > of the methods they're using are worth looking at and/or extending to
> > symbolic signs?

Most definitely! - tnx.
Since we won't be using video, we can't use the tracking part. Looking at
the video's, I don't think the system will give a 'hit' for every picture we
throw at it, but it does seem to offer reasonable performance, and it's
interesting to see the methods that they've used to detect test. Added to
the proposal!

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:

> Text is again siftable because it is complex. But we are talking with
> signs (the basic ones) in shapes/colours.

Note that for now I'm focusing on street-sign OCR (also to not thread on
other peoples toes), for which I think this might be relevant research.
During development, my focus will be on reusability, and many of the things
I produce should be directly applicable to the traffic-sign recognition
project.
Since I was kinda hoping that you would be my mentor ;) - Please let me know
if you want me to take a different direction / focus more on generic sign
recognition.

- Tijs