[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Automatic Street-Sign Detection and Reading - was: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 12:03:03 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Matt Amos wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Tijs Zwinkels
>> <openStreetMap at tumblecow.net> wrote:
>> > I mean, come on, one of these methods must be able to detect street signs.
>> > :)
>>
>> i stumbled across a paper about tracking text in videos[1]. maybe some
>> of the methods they're using are worth looking at and/or extending to
>> symbolic signs?
>
> Text is again siftable because it is complex. But we are talking with
> signs (the basic ones) in shapes/colours.

they are only using SIFT for tracking. initial detection is done by a
(monochrome) connected components analysis. this might be a useful
tool for detecting street signs, as they generally come in a small
number of untextured colours.

afaict, the only non-siftable street sign is the circlular
white-with-red-border, right? from a practical point of view, what
%age of road sign instances are that sign? maybe its worth focussing
on the large majority which are siftable and leaving the "grand
unified street sign detector" for a follow-up project.

cheers,

matt