[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Automatic Street-Sign Detection and Reading - was: [GSoC] A GPX photo stamper.

Kenn Sebesta kenn at wifi-bourgogne.com
Thu Apr 9 12:20:04 BST 2009

> afaict, the only non-siftable street sign is the circlular
> white-with-red-border, right? from a practical point of view, what
> %age of road sign instances are that sign? maybe its worth focussing
> on the large majority which are siftable and leaving the "grand
> unified street sign detector" for a follow-up project.

Depends on the country. In Luxembourg, they're throwing them up as if
they were going out of style. The sign is supposed to mean "DO NOT
ENTER ANYONE", but here they're taken to mean "local traffic only". So
we have more of those than speed limit signs. I'll keep my eyes open
on my way home today, but it seems to me that that's about the most
common sign in Luxembourg, bar none.

FYI, there's also a yellow diamond with white border that's used in
Europe, again, more or less depending on the country. Not sure if this
is SIFTable or not.