[OSM-dev] SoC Project: Preprocessor to add altitude information to OSM data

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Apr 9 12:56:56 BST 2009

Kenn Sebesta wrote:
> On a somewhat related note, openstreetmap really needs to
> consider having multiple file layers-- at least one for roads
> and one for non-roads.

No. You shouldn't be working with the raw data in most cases, you should be
working with your own subset of it.

So you can - and should - make your own layers from planet.osm, not rely on
some wise person to tell you what layers you should be using.

> Since the most practical application for openstreetmap in the near
> future is routing

In your opinion. :)

> it seems wasteful to devote so much space to things unessential
> to the routing question. I don't see power-lines, footpaths,
> and/or parking lot aisles

Footpaths are useful for pedestrian routing, fairly obviously, and can be
used in cycle routing (as per cyclestreets.net).

It might be handy for your purposes to think of "roads" and "non-roads", but
other people have different uses. One of the great lessons of OSM is that
people will map what they want: it's your job as a consumer of the data to
pull out the bits you find useful. Telling people "don't map this, map that"
doesn't work.

cheers
Richard