[OSM-dev] SoC Project: Preprocessor to add altitude information to OSM data

Hermann Kraus herm at scribus.info
Thu Apr 9 14:26:24 BST 2009

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 12:32:23 +0200, Graham Jones (Physics)
<grahamjones at physics.org> wrote:

> Andy is right that the key to getting a true representation is not to
> just
> look at the altitude of nodes, but to integrate the SRTM data between the
> nodes to give total climb (the high tech version of counting the contour
> lines...).
>
> I think that is what Hermann was intending to do wasn't it?

Yes that is what I was intending to do. Counting the contour lines is a
really good explaination. In my application
(http://r2d2.stefanm.com/soc2009/application2009_altitude.txt) I
explicitly mentioned the project from last year:
"Some code should be resuable from last year's SRTM project by Sjors
Provoost."

However I also want to ADDITIONALLY add the altitude difference between
two endpoints, as there might also be uses for this and it is trivial to
compute when all the processing along the way is already done.

Regards,

Hermann