[OSM-dev] Duplicates in planet.osm

Kenn Sebesta kenn at wifi-bourgogne.com
Fri Apr 10 10:02:22 BST 2009

While processing osm files, I'm finding lots of duplicates. For instance,

25704836
25704850
25705008
25705398
25705403
25705465
25705466
25705467
25705474
25705478
25705480
25705481
25705482
25705649
25705655
25705656
25705657
25705659
25705660
25705668
25705674
25705683

all seem to be the same (high)way, created by the same user "Branco".
I've deleted all but one, as they're just duplicates, but I'm finding
this kind of problem surprisingly often, in many different countries.
I'm only noticing the problem when there are more than 20 (!)
duplicates of a given road, but I'm certain that these duplicates are
happening more often and are just slipping under my radar.

Two questions:

1) Where is this coming from? Overzealous users not understanding how
to use Potlatch (IIRC, it's always and only Potlatch) or maybe
inputting gps tracks multiple times?
2) What can be done to catch and eliminate all these duplicate ways?