[OSM-dev] using osm as base to superset

MilesTogoe miles.togoe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:29:38 BST 2009

We would like to better integrate our road network data with OSM -
perhaps as using OSM as a base dataset with an extra superset of data
specific to our needs (very detailed road information ie lane widths,
shoulder widths, turn lane designations, stop bar location, signal
timing, ...) - this way, all of our road network additions can get
exported into the OSM network (which here in the US would be a good
addition - the current Tiger data can use lots of editing).   I've been
trying to figure out how we can do this and would like some input from
the OSM community.

1) we currently have road segment objects with separate directional
links - we have a hierarchy of:
corridor
 >> road

we could make this more integrated with OSM by:
a) adding lots of detailed tags  (but would OSM want all this extra
detail ?)

b) write an export translation to the current common tag designations,
combining the directional links to form 2-way ways.

c) we could modify our objects to better follow the "way" collection of
nodes - this might be like a) but I'm just not sure how we would do this
and still keep our level of detail.

Any thoughts?