[OSM-dev] using osm as base to superset

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 13:34:54 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, MilesTogoe <miles.togoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> We would like to better integrate our road network data with OSM -
> perhaps as using OSM as a base dataset with an extra superset of data
> specific to our needs (very detailed road information ie lane widths,
> shoulder widths, turn lane designations, stop bar location, signal
> timing, ...) - this way, all of our road network additions can get
> exported into the OSM network (which here in the US would be a good
> addition - the current Tiger data can use lots of editing).   I've been
> trying to figure out how we can do this and would like some input from
> the OSM community.

Since nobody else replied, firstly the talk mailing list is probably
more appropriate for this, and maybe the talk-us list.

Do I understand you correctly that you have an existing map database
of some of the road network the United States and you plan to merge
the OSM dataset with that database to use in some product that you're
offering, and are wondering what the best way to contribute back would
be?

If so the best way would probably be to aim for getting all your data
into OSM, and just adding extra tags / relations / ways / whatever to
express what you need out of the final dataset.

> 1) we currently have road segment objects with separate directional
> links - we have a hierarchy of:
> corridor
>  >> road
>  >>>>directional link
>
> we could make this more integrated with OSM by:
> a) adding lots of detailed tags  (but would OSM want all this extra
> detail ?)

Yes please. Eventually we want the sort of detail your dataset
probably has, e.g. number of lanes, lane width, detailed information
describing intersections etc.