[OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Apr 14 12:09:53 BST 2009

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

>   I have noticed that all my GPS traces uploaded to OSM base are displayed
> in JOSM in opposite direction. First I though that this is bug in JOSM,
> but it appeared that if I open the gpx file in JOSM, then the trace direction
> is drawn correctly. And if I upload this exact file to OSM and then
> download it into JOSM gpx layer, then the direction of trace is the opposite.

When you download GPS points from the API in JOSM they are not returned
in any particular order - you will get all points in the area but the
points from different traces may well be mixed up and may or may not be
in the order in which they appeared in the original traces.

This is done for privacy reasons as not all traces are public and we
don't want to reveal too much about non-public traces.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/