[OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 14 16:46:20 BST 2009

Hi,

Karl Newman wrote:
> I've been around OSM for a few years now and I was not aware "private" GPS
> trackpoints were available for download.

Firstly, the API does not talk of "private" GPS tracks. It only gives
you a checkbox saying "public".

> I looked in a couple obvious places
> on the Wiki ([1] and [2]) by following the Help link on the upload page and
> the availability of non-public trackpoints is not mentioned anywhere.

I have fixed the description on the Help page.

> Perhaps that fact could be made overtly clear on the upload page (i.e., a
> checkbox with a disclaimer "I understand that by not checking Public it
> doesn't really mean anything")

That would be wrong. A GPX trace not marked as "public" is only a cloud
of lat/lon points. Nobody can see who uploaded it, when it was uploaded,
or which points belong to the same trace.

> for the paranoid among us that had the
> illusion of privacy

If you want privacy, don't upload your data. The paranoid among us are,
and have always been, living by that rule.

Bye
Frederik