[OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces

A Morris aledmorris2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 17:28:12 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)
<ajrlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well it's been like it is for the last 4+ years! If you uploaded your GPS
> data and it wasn't visible at all then what use would it be in OSM having
> it! By the very act of uploading GPS data to OSM you are making a
> contribution. It's only the original uploaded trace file that is made
> available to the wider public if you wish or kept private if you wish not.

Indeed, I did wonder what was the point of private traces. Personally,
I keep my traces private by, erm, not uploading them.

Still, I can't help thinking it would be good to make it clear that
'private' traces are in fact, almost exactly the opposite (how about
'available-to-the-world-although-not-easy-to-personally-identify-however-certainly-not-impossible'
? :-)

Aled.