[OSM-dev] [bug] direction of GPS traces

Graham Jones (Physics) grahamjones at physics.org
Tue Apr 28 21:09:14 BST 2009

This thread seemed to fizzle out without coming to a conclusion.  I would
suggest the following:

   - Many developers (never mind users) did not appreciate that the opposite
   of 'public' in this context is 'anonymous'.
   - Although the wiki does explain this, the GPX upload page does not, it
   just has a 'public' checkbox.
   - It is not unreasonable for users to think that the opposite of 'public'
   is 'private' - ie, only visible to the user who uploaded the trace.
   - We should include some text next to the 'public' checkbox to explain -
   something like "Note that all GPX traces uploaded to OSM are visible to all
   users.  Selecting 'public' will associate the trace the user who uploaded
   it, otherwise it will be anonymous".

Does this sound reasonable?  I would offer to add the text myself, but I
can't find the HTML in the SVN repository.  Please will someone either make
this change (or something similar), or tell me how to do it?

Regards

Graham.

2009/4/16 Johnny Rose Carlsen <osm at wenix.dk>

> Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> > Karl Newman wrote:
> > > I've been around OSM for a few years now and I was not aware
> > > "private" GPS trackpoints were available for download.
> >
> > Firstly, the API does not talk of "private" GPS tracks. It only gives
> > you a checkbox saying "public".
>
> If you go to "My GPS traces", then it says PRIVATE with red letters.
>
> Maybe indicating that the traces are anonymous would be better.
>
> Best Regards,
>  - Johnny Carlsen

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK