[OSM-dev] implemented API for J2SE and J2ME (NameFinder Client API)

Michael Willigens michael at willigens.de
Tue Apr 21 11:23:04 BST 2009

Hey,

i have thought about that last night,
Its sounds a bit odd but it would be possible to use an LDAP server
for GeoNaming lookups. We could create a canonical, hirachical scheme
and fill in any named Objects. Correctly implemented LDAP is several
times faster than MySQL in naming lookups and supports also wildcard
queries. We could even split up the request by using a well known has
funstion among severla LDAP servers.
An Example scheme "could" depend on places and large polygon border
structures like:
Earth - > Continent -> Country -> State -> Region -> City -> ...
We could fill on Bogus placeholders for canonicals that are not
defined. (i.e. Countries without any States like Liechtenstein)

what dou you think about that ?

cheers,
Michael Willigens