[OSM-dev] implemented API for J2SE and J2ME (NameFinder Client API)

Colin Marquardt cmarqu42 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:29:37 BST 2009

2009/4/21 Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at wolschon.biz>:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Michael Willigens <michael at willigens.de> wrote:
>> should not be a problem to support this. abbrevate the objects before
>> indexing:
>> highways:  filter: ave, street, way, strasse, straße etc. same goes
>> for cities and towns. LDAP supports wildcard queries for the rest and
>> one could also do a simple for human beings:
>> p=Earth,Street=Haslachstrasse
>> "Haslachstrasse" would therefor give "Haslach*" before doing the
>> query.
>

> Thats what I'm doing in address-search and it works fine.
> I'm also normalizing everything to non-capital letters and
> a given number of special characters of the search-string
> get replaced by %. (The first time I made the mistake of
> transliterating ^[a-zA-Z0-9] to % and this broke the search
> for russian names.)

There is some good information on the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name_finder/Address_format
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name_finder:Abbreviations

Maybe a clever algorithm could use the fact that an abbreviation
expansion matched for a certain language to give a higher weight to
locations in countries with that language. I.e. of two hypothetical
streets in the database, "Diesel St, Potsdam" would likely be in the
US, whereas a (sloppily written) "Diesel Str Potsdam" would be in
Germany.

Cheers
  Colin