[OSM-dev] Quality tools and 'lost edits' during mapping parties?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Apr 26 11:55:05 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I don't know how Potlatch deals with this, but in JOSM you should, at
> least in theory, be able to avoid any problems by downloading before
> uploading; worst case is you get conflicts that you have to resolve
> manually.

Potlatch's approach is to try its hardest to make sure its data is the
latest available. Whenever you pan the map, Potlatch asks the server for all
ways/nodes/relations within the new bbox. If anything has a more recent
version on the server than that currently in Potlatch, the new version is
downloaded. It certainly doesn't prevent conflicts but it does at least
minimise them.

cheers
Richard