[OSM-dev] Osmosis pk_users (was Re: Postgres - installing gist?)

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sun Apr 26 23:49:57 BST 2009

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Thomas Wood wrote:
>
>> I think the pgsql commands still target the pre-0.6 osmosis-
>> specific PostGIS schema, brett began introducing the apidb
>> command set as a copy of the existing mysql ones and then
>> modifying to use postgres. See r14515 onwards here -
>> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/log/applications/utils/osmosis
>>

> You're a lifesaver - cheers. Osmosis is now chugging through the GB planet
> extract. Will update the wiki docs if it works!

Hi Richard,

I have no idea if that import will work, I've never tried it.  Good luck
;-)  To be clearer, it does work in unit tests, but I've never tried it
on a large data set.

At some point I'll create a new command which creates PostgreSQL dump
files.  They are significantly faster to load because they use the COPY
command to import in bulk.  For now the --write-apidb command is the
only option though.

Brett

PS: I've just closed your --write-pgsql defect, as Thomas points out
those tasks are for the Osmosis specific PostGIS-based snapshot schema.
It is used by the ROMA servers among other things.  I should rename them
now to avoid confusion ...