[OSM-dev] Cartagen - client-side vector based map renderer, dynamic maps

Jeffrey Warren warren at mit.edu
Mon Apr 27 17:55:46 BST 2009

Great, it's good to see other efforts in this area, and I'm definitely
interested in collaborating. I want to stress, however, that Cartagen is not
necessarily an OSM renderer, but a mapping framework in general - it can
consume the OSM API, but also KML and other data sources. One thing I really
like about the osmarender frontend project is that beyond trying to be a
wysiwyg map editor, it uses a style markup similar to what I've been doing
in Cartagen... the rules file:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmarender/Rules#Example_of_using_embedded_CSS_styles

We should definitely work together on a common style format - i've tried to
make Cartagen run on something very close to CSS, which is why I've called
it GSS - the idea being that web developers who are used to CSS can use
their literacy to design maps as well:

http://cartagen.org/glop/style.gss

The nice thing about GSS is that it's actually JSON - meaning that instead
of static styles like:

footway: {
lineWidth: 2,
strokeStyle: "#842"
},

we also can write actual code in a style, like:

way: {
strokeStyle: function() {
 return color_from_string(this.user)
},
lineWidth: 2,
 fillStyle: "white"
},

The above converts the user name of the contributor (from OSM) to a hex
string useable as a color. So what you see is something like this:

http://map.cartagen.org/?gss=http://unterbahn.com/cartagen/style.gss

This is why i see Cartagen as more than a renderer, but a fully scriptable
map design framework.

Best,
Jeff