[OSM-dev] Can SQLite3 handle OSM 150G data file?

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Apr 28 08:02:30 BST 2009

On 28 Apr 2009, at 00:16, Kelly Jones wrote:

> I've seen many posts saying that SQLite2 can't handle OpenStreetMap's
> large planet.osm data file:
>
> http://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet-090421.osm.bz2
>
> which is 5.4G bzip2 compressed, about 150G uncompressed.
>
> Can SQLite3 handle this? Has anyone tried?
>
> I tried to do this myself, but I'm on a slow machine and it's taking
> too long (several days so far). If someone's done this, can I get a
> copy?

SQLite isn't designed for huge databases like OpenStreetMap. You could
get away with a city or small region, but more than that, you will get
the slowness that you are seeing.
http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q19 and some other FAQs on that page.
You are much better using Postgres, or even MySQL.

Shaun