[OSM-dev] Cloudmade routing for OSM rails_port site.

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:11:52 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Марат Хасанов <angedonia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Let me introduce Routing for OSM!
>
> My name is Marat Khasanov and I’m working for CloudMade as Front-End
> developer. Few days ago I’ve already finished routing tool for OSM project.
> With this tool you can aOSdd your own routes between points on the map or
> search for shortest or fastest way by car, bicycle or walking. Current
> version is based on CM Routing API and interacts with the server over
> cross-domain JSON requests(similarly to data and search window).
>
> You can find possibility to try it here:
> http://mkhasanov.sandbox.cloudmade.com/directions (only view and routing
> tabs works)

The current algorithm doesn't take into account that roads with
access=private or which have barriers on them with access private
should be passed through, by default:

http://mkhasanov.sandbox.cloudmade.com/directions?lat=44.42775&lon=25.99423&zoom=15&layers=B000FTFTT&travel_mode=car&waypoints=25.98,44.43,26.01013,44.43377

And, as Maarten said, the Permalink is not precise enough, it should
provide 5 decimals to be effective in locating a point.

Another problem is that the default shortest route for cars should
probably avoid tracks, or a "shortest on paved roads" algorithm should
be provided.

Problem visible here:
http://mkhasanov.sandbox.cloudmade.com/directions?lat=44.3905&lon=26.0228&zoom=13&layers=B000FTFTT&travel_mode=car/shortest&waypoints=25.99,44.41,25.99,44.38

Also, the fast and short route could be the same if the difference
isn't noticiable like above, where both the fast and the short route
are allegedly 4.7km long.

> Now it is easy to make your maps better and your mapping more effective
> finding not crossing roads or other lacks of existing maps. I appreciate
> community feedback and waiting till you review this functionality and
> attached patch.
>
> Marat.

Regards,
EddyP