[OSM-dev] User preference for editor

Thu Apr 30 14:39:49 BST 2009

[moved from private mail, but more relevant to the list than to me personally]

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> I was wondering whether you are still planning to add JOSM to the
> EDIT-Menu in Potlatch (remember? We wrote about it some time ago on
> the list). I (and certainly some other people) would really appreciate
> it.

For those who (like me) needed to remember what this is about:
   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2009-March/014533.html

Doing this shouldn't be done "in Potlatch". Potlatch is simply the
Flash editing application that appears within the confines of the map
window. The "Edit" tab itself, for example, isn't actually in
Potlatch. :)

Instead, it should be a setting in your user preferences:
   http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/<your_id>/account

using the existing preferences object in Rails.

The setting could be a URL which, if set, would be invoked when you
clicked 'Edit'. (If not set or blank, Potlatch would be invoked as per
usual.) There would be characters that would be replaced with lat,
long and zoom. Something like:
   http://myfunkyeditor.com/?lat=$lat&lon=$lon&zoom=$zoom

It's not something that needs to be, or indeed should be, done within
Potlatch the application. So you needn't be asking me to do it - if
nothing else I don't really have the time nor the knowledge of the
user preferences object.

Rather, it should be done within the main Rails port site and any
number of people can do that - or, of course, you can do it yourself.
Failing that, submit a trac ticket.

cheers
Richard