[OSM-dev] User preference for editor

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:48:08 BST 2009

2009/4/30 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
> [moved from private mail, but more relevant to the list than to me personally]
>
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> I was wondering whether you are still planning to add JOSM to the
>> EDIT-Menu in Potlatch (remember? We wrote about it some time ago on
>> the list). I (and certainly some other people) would really appreciate
>> it.
>
> For those who (like me) needed to remember what this is about:
>   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2009-March/014533.html
>
> Instead, it should be a setting in your user preferences:
>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/<your_id>/account

IMHO it would be much nicer to choose everytime you click Edit for 2 reasons:
- users tend to use both editors because some features are unique
(like undelete in potlatch)
- this might depend on from which machine you are clicking it (if
you're in an internetcafe you usually won't be able to use JOSM)

> It's not something that needs to be, or indeed should be, done within
> Potlatch the application. So you needn't be asking me to do it - if
> nothing else I don't really have the time nor the knowledge of the
> user preferences object.

well, I know its not a Potlatch-Issue but I actually was referring to
a private message (as follow-up to the cited thread) you sent me on
March 30:

>>    looking again at the sequence (on the page after "edit") and your
>>    post, I got this idea:
>>    could you put another grey box under "start" "practise" "help" (I have
>>    them in German, they might be slightly different in English) called
>>    "JOSM", Text: "Open this area in JOSM (requires JOSM with remote
>>    plugin to be installed and running)".

you:

> That's a really good idea. There's sometimes another button in there (if you've clicked 'edit' next to a GPX track), called 'Track', which converts the track into > a way - so I'm not sure whether there'll be enough space for it. If there is I'll add it soon; if not, I'll add it in Potlatch 2.0 which will have a different screen layout anyway.

> number of people can do that - or, of course, you can do it yourself.
> Failing that, submit a trac ticket.

done

cheers,
Martin