[OSM-dev] User preference for editor

Thu Apr 30 16:21:38 BST 2009

Tom Hughes wrote:

> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO it would be much nicer to choose everytime you click Edit for
>>>  2 reasons:
>>> - users tend to use both editors because some features are unique
>>> (like undelete in potlatch)
>>> - this might depend on from which machine you are clicking it (if
>>> you're in an internetcafe you usually won't be able to use JOSM)
>>
>> Interesting point.
>
> But insane for the majority of users - that argument is basically
> saying that because a handful of users might want to choose on a case
> by case basis everybody should be forced to click through some menu
> each time.

Oh, absolutely. How I can see it working is that Potlatch could have a
user pref saying "Offer alternate editor?" with a URL as previously
described, and if you set that pref, then Potlatch would have a button
when you started offering the ability to launch that. But yes, adding
a "Please first choose your editor" dialogue would be nuts, UI-wise.

cheers
Richard