[OSM-dev] User preference for editor

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Apr 30 16:09:24 BST 2009

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> IMHO it would be much nicer to choose everytime you click Edit for 2 reasons:
>> - users tend to use both editors because some features are unique
>> (like undelete in potlatch)
>> - this might depend on from which machine you are clicking it (if
>> you're in an internetcafe you usually won't be able to use JOSM)
>
> Interesting point.

But insane for the majority of users - that argument is basically saying
that because a handful of users might want to choose on a case by case
basis everybody should be forced to click through some menu each time.

Adding the ability to set an alternate default editor is certainly
reasonable, though at the moment the target audience for that is likely
to be pretty small as the only real alternative at the moment is JOSM
with the remote control plugin which will present a pretty ugly user
interface that will fail in a rather messy way if you don't have JOSM
running with the remote control plugin enabled.

Beyond that making one of the possible options "ask me each time" is not
unreasonable, though the main reason for needing it is precisely because
of the ugliness of the JOSM remote control solution.

Obviously if there were multiple competing web embedded editors then it
would be a whole different story.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)