[OSM-dev] Keepright layer conflicts

Harald Kleiner e9625163 at gmx.at
Fri Aug 7 20:12:39 BST 2009

Hi Dirk

As Philip already said, I refer to the tunnel-wiki-page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tunnel#How_to_Map). It says that you
should have at least a short non-tunnel-way between a tunnel and the
next junction.

 From this I conclude that the only valid method of changing layers is
exactly two ways joining in a node end to end, like this:

   way A, layer 0              way B, layer 1
-----------------------*----------------------------

According to this rule, this is obviously wrong:
[two ways connected together at intermediate nodes while on different
layers]

way A, layer 0	|

		|           way B, layer 1
	--------*------------------------------------

this is IMHO also not OK (but nevertheless common practice):
[a bridge ending at a junction]

way A, layer 0	|

		|           way B, layer 1

There are many junctions of the third form, I admit. That's why I
separated the second from the third form by different error types. So if
you don't like to change the way you draw bridges/tunnels you can simply
turn off the "not so obvious" layer conflicts errors.

Best regards,
Harald