[OSM-dev] reply-to setting of mailing list

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Tue Aug 11 21:24:56 BST 2009

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> vacation etc - The list software has to be very good in eliminating those.

Vacation mails should never be activated for mailing list.
I do not see how this would be related the the mailing list software.
The vacation mail would then be sent to everyone posting to the list.

This is recommended in the documentation:
"While the program suggests that this be set to poster, you should
consider the purpose of the list in selecting this value. Lists that
intend to focus on discussion are best set to "list" to encourage
conversation. Lists used for announcements are best set to poster to
prevent unwanted traffic and the inadvertent broadcast of replies."
http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html

The list talk-de is configured for replies to the list.

Stephan