[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql slim mode, postgis, and hard disk spindles

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 20 00:41:51 BST 2009

Hi,

    has anyone experimented with different PostGIS setups on a machine
that runs osm2pgsql with minutely or hourly "slim mode" updates and has
multiple (in my case only 2) hard disks?

The first thing people often do to optimise performance is they put
indexes on one disk and data on another.

But given the way osm2pgsql works in "slim" mode, I wonder whether it
might perhaps make sense to put the node/way/relation tables on one hard
disk, and the tables with geometries (planetosm_line etc.) on the other?

Bye
Frederik