[OSM-dev] mkgmap problems

Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk
Fri Aug 28 18:05:06 BST 2009

Hi

> I'm running into problems with mkgmap (v 1067). Building a Garmin map for Burning Man. The OSM file is not so large, about 600k.
> Yet, the process runs for hours, and then finally gives an OutOfMemoryError
>
> $ java -Xmx2048M -jar mkgmap.jar 20090826.camps.osm
> SEVERE (Main): java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>
> Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Are there large number of tags on the nodes?  That is a known
possibility of getting out of memory for files that would
otherwise be small enough.

I plan to fix that, but preprocessing to remove unneeded ones is the
only solution at the moment, apart from splitting the file.

If not, then I could take a look at it if you put it somewhere downloadable.

Regards,

..Steve