[OSM-dev] mountain_passes and some problems

Tilmann Sult t.sult at gmx.de
Sat Aug 29 12:03:34 BST 2009

Hi list,

I've written a small Python script to get the mountain_pass tag
rendered. I succeeded, but I got some problems. Some examples you can
find here http://amor.hu-berlin.de/~sulttilm/silvaplana.png and
http://amor.hu-berlin.de/~sulttilm/montroc.png .As you can see on the
second image the Col des Montets gets different road shading (it is a
bit ugly I know:)). But there are also on the left path two
mountain_passes. These passes are near the glacier where there is no
way. So if there are mountain_pass-tags on a highway it works correctly.

In my opinion the problem occurs just because I use the && function
instead of ST_Within or ST_Contains from PostGIS. If I use ST_Within or
ST_Contains I got an empty table which should display me the secondary
way. But with osm2pgsql the geometry seems to be corrupted.

Just because my C skills are very basic, I don't know how I could
integrate this script in osm2pgsql or solve the described problem. If
someone is interested in this script and will test it you have to
install psycopg2 http://initd.org/projects/psycopg2 and set the dbname
and the dbuser in line 32. I haven't yet try this script on huge .osm
files. Script location: http://amor.hu-berlin.de/~sulttilm/passes.py

Greets,
	Tilmann