[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Erik Johansson emj at kth.se
Mon Dec 14 13:00:13 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Actually, I was just now creating a stub page for API 0.7 brainstorming:
>> >
>> >  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7
>> >
>> > Remember, it's a brainstorm: all ideas are good ideas at this point...
>> > ;-).
>>
>> cool! although i'd consider "verified users / locked tags" to be an
>> anti-feature ;-)
>>

> Yea, I suppose that requires some discussion. The idea arose from a meeting
> I recently attended with some US city government GIS people that have
> expressed interest in maintaining (at least part of) their official GIS
> database in OpenStreetMap. Their number one fear/concern is an OSM editor
> changing the "official" boundary of a state forest, pulling that change back
> to do cartography for a hunting season (for example), and then having a land
> owner call them up asking why people are hunting on their land.

Migurski posted a blog about signing openstreetmap edits. So that you
can be sure that the edit is alright. (But this is ass yout UUID
mostly a client thing)
http://mike.teczno.com/notes/gosm.html

The question is do these bulk imports of legal boundaries really
belong in Openstreetmap? Since they are not really editable, you can
only change them by doing bulk import again.