[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:06:11 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Erik Johansson <emj at kth.se> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> brainstorming:

> >> cool! although i'd consider "verified users / locked tags" to be an
> >> anti-feature ;-)
> >>

> > Yea, I suppose that requires some discussion. The idea arose from a
> meeting
> > I recently attended with some US city government GIS people that have
> > expressed interest in maintaining (at least part of) their official GIS
> > database in OpenStreetMap. Their number one fear/concern is an OSM editor
> > changing the "official" boundary of a state forest, pulling that change
> back
> > to do cartography for a hunting season (for example), and then having a
> land
> > owner call them up asking why people are hunting on their land.
>

> Migurski posted a blog about signing openstreetmap edits. So that you
> can be sure that the edit is alright. (But this is ass yout UUID
> mostly a client thing)
> http://mike.teczno.com/notes/gosm.html
>
> The question is do these bulk imports of legal boundaries really
> belong in Openstreetmap? Since they are not really editable, you can
> only change them by doing bulk import again.

I agree, and pointed that out to the government people asking. OSM should
probably have some boundary data to make pretty maps, but since a regular
old citizen can't walk up to the border, stick their GPS in the ground and
say "ah hah! The border was off by 0.12 degrees, I shall now go update OSM!"
it probably should not be in the official OSM database to begin with.

However, someone else at the meeting countered that in Europe, where borders
aren't so easy to come by in a licensable format, they seem to survive just
fine with having border data be crowd-sourced.

I tried to redirect the conversation by pointing out that other data, such
as schools or water fountain POI, would be a much better option for
insertion into OSM, at least to start off.