[OSM-dev] Timestamps

hy-soft hy-soft at sha-mash.de
Wed Dec 16 18:23:33 GMT 2009

Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 16/12/09 16:24, hy-soft wrote:
>
>> For several reasons I am not permanently up to date with osm.
>> Revently I noticed that (obviously due to changes from api) the
>> timestamp is handled differently and set to the upload date-time after
>> creating a node/relation/way.
>
> As opposed to what? A timestamp specified in the uploaded XML file?
>
> That has (as far as I know) always been the case - any timestamp in the
> uploaded XML is discarded. Certainly I believe API's 0.4 to 0.6 have
> worked in that way, which covers the last couple of years.
Ok, if this is the case I might not have noticed this behaviour when
working previously with osm.
sorry.
But I always interpreted this timestamp as the date/time, when the
mapper who uploaded the item visited the place.

To be more specific:

If I have data to an area that differs from that what is currently in
osm I would compare the timestamps of my local data with that of osm.
If the osm-data is outdated and my recordings are newer it could make
sense to delete the old data and replace it with the latest data
collected in the area.

The other way round it's the same. E.g. If my data is from 2003 and the
osm-data is from 2009 I can discard these tracks.

But currently there is no way to get the information when the osm-data
has been gathered - except for revisiting and remapping the area.

TIA