[OSM-dev] Osm2pgsql - Planet.osm fail - "Unknown Element name : changeset"

Quy phan quyminhphan at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 16 19:18:42 GMT 2009

Hey guys,

I really need some help, I been trying to debug this problem for days but still no luck,
I am sure there are people on this forum who have the knowledge to help out.

My setup: Window xp, P4, 3.0Gigs, 4 gigs of ram. Only 12 gigs of hard drive space available
- Is hard drive space a problem because the planet.osm is 120gigs when I unzipped it.
- I also turned off autovaccum for postgres, I am on postgres 8.3
- Postgis is on 1.3.6
- My osm2pgsql might be old, any links to the latest windows binary version?

Here is the problem:

When I did osm2pgsql --slim -C 1536 -d geoserver planet.osm
It sets up table correctly (no errors)
It fails when it tries to read in planet.osm
A series of StartElement: Unknown element name: changeset
EndElement: Unknown element name: changeset
StartElement: Unknown element name: changeset

EndElement: Unknown element name: changeset
StartElement: Unknown element name: changeset

EndElement: Unknown element name: changeset
and so on repeatedly forever pops out, then i Control C to cancel.

Note: Other OSM data such as, california.osm or asia.osm works, osm2pgsql is able to
read the data...  I believe the planet.osm is corrupted while unzipping/downloading?
Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!