[OSM-dev] Changeset files (was Removing Minutely and Hourly Changesets)

Lars Francke lars.francke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:56:35 GMT 2009

> Ah yes.  Hmm.  That said, most of the characters actually in the database
> are carriage returns, which along with tabs and line feeds (also in the db)
> are valid in XML.  Other characters are present - for instance ASCII 3 in
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1325382 - those will be more
> of a problem.

The history dumper just skips over those chars[1]. The regex is
actually from Matt Amos who also wrote the planet exporter. So I'd
guess that he would have no objections to change the .c program to the
same behavior as the history export tool.

> Hopefully the database can be cleaned of the rest of the characters, because
> I'd imagine each dumper is going to have a slightly different way of dealing
> with them.  Until that's done, I guess there's no right answer.

>> > Any chance of adding num_changes?
>>
>> The current output reflects the same information as the /changeset API
>> call. Do you think it should be there too?
>
> Not as a bug, but as a feature request, I guess so.  It's more useful in the
> dumps than the API (you can use it to make sure you've got everything
> downloaded), but it'd be useful in the API as well, I suppose.  It seems to
> be in the DB, so there shouldn't be a performance impact, right?

The planet export program even queries the value from the database and
discards the information so it should be trivial to add the
information.

Cheers,
Lars

[1]  <http://bitbucket.org/lfrancke/historydump/src/tip/src/main/java/org/openstreetmap/util/Dumper.java#cl-21>