[OSM-dev] Changeset files (was Removing Minutely and Hourly Changesets)

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Mon Dec 21 22:10:11 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Lars Francke <lars.francke at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Ah yes.  Hmm.  That said, most of the characters actually in the database
> > are carriage returns, which along with tabs and line feeds (also in the
> db)
> > are valid in XML.  Other characters are present - for instance ASCII 3 in
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1325382 - those will be
> more
> > of a problem.
>
> The history dumper just skips over those chars[1]. The regex is
> actually from Matt Amos who also wrote the planet exporter. So I'd
> guess that he would have no objections to change the .c program to the
> same behavior as the history export tool.

To complete the conversation, Osmosis does the same thing as the history
dumper if I'm reading the history dumper regex properly.  It ignores all
characters between 0x00 and 0x1F with the exception of 0x09, 0x0A and 0x0D
which it leaves unchanged.  It doesn't write '?' characters for illegal
characters, it simply drops them.

Brett