[OSM-dev] GPX pollution (spam?)

Ciprian Talaba cipriantalaba at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 19:19:28 GMT 2009

Hi Frederik,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that there was a discussion about some kind of malfunction in a GPX
> converting software, that would automatically create pseudo-GPX like the
> stuff you are seeing for waypoints. It is possible that the person who
> uploaded this track has used a similar software, and what you are seeing are
> indeed their waypoints!

Thanks, for this info. At a second look these might be POIs that somebody
tried to import, but failed.

> The admins can find out but there will be work involved on their part.
>
> My recommendation would be to simply leave this alone. Even if it were
> deliberate spam, unless it is done in a massive way all over the country, it
> doesn't really do much harm.

It would be nice to have them removed (as they don't add any value) and also
to find out who tried to import those POIs because it will be nice to have
the correct information in OSM ;), but it depends on the time needed to do
that. If this a few minutes job than it would be great, if not, we can live
with that, or we can start to ask around and eventually find the user .

Thanks,
Ciprian