[OSM-dev] Massive building import - thoughts

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Fri Feb 6 18:32:37 GMT 2009

Hi there,

( that will probably bring some more fear to the different API/server
admins ;-) )

In france, next to the cadastre's agreement of using their data for OSM, we
might soon be able to import something like 60% of France's builings.

The remaining question is : should we do it ?

- quality concerns/tests are on their way
- semi-automated imports are being developped to spread the load in time (and
get a quality idea of the data we have)

My RFC on this dev list is, what negativ inpact could that bring to OSM db
servers ? on rendering servers too ?

Values expectation are roughly :
- 10,000,000 builings (from a single house to church to towers to many others)
- composed roughly from 4 to ~50 nodes

Thoughts are welcome

--
sly