[OSM-dev] OT: Qt series 60 support for Mac OS X or Linux?

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 03:48:47 GMT 2009

(sorry for the empty reply sent earlier)

Nick Whitelegg a scris:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Slightly off topic but it relates to an idea I have for a 3D navigation
> tool for walkers using OSM and SRTM data, for both desktop and mobile
> devices. I like the sound of Qt for series 60 phones (e.g. the N95) but
> unfortunately the preview release is for Windows only, which I have no
> access to at home: only Mac OS X or OpenSuSE. Does anyone happen to know
> if a Qt dev kit for S60 will be available for non Windows platforms ?
> (given that Qt's remit is to be cross platform, one would hope so!)

http://gnupoc.sourceforge.net/ gives a toolchain for S60 on Linux/MacOSX

You will need also the SDKs and the patches for QT support and, very
likely, you'll want to use wine for some of the tools.

I have recently installed a toolchain for S60 (no QT support) on my
laptop. See
http://ramblingfoo.blogspot.com/2009/01/symbian-develoment-on-linux-almost.html
for the juicy bits.

> Alternatively is Java ME OpenGL likely to give good enough performance for
> this type of app?

Nokia's Maps application is using OpenGL and works well, but is a native
C++ app, so I don't know how much slower a Java app will be.

--
Regards,
EddyP