[OSM-dev] trace file extension in links to data

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sat Feb 7 10:00:39 GMT 2009

Stefan Baebler wrote:
> My previous patch probably conflicts with
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/534 and
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/6562
>
> which allows compressed (eg .gpx.gz) data usually served by
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/trace/137465/data
> to be served as uncompressed gpx xml if requested as
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/trace/137465/data.xml
>
> Why .xml extension instead of simply .gpx?

Not sure to be honest. I probably just thought it was more likely that a
client would do the right thing with .xml than with an extension it had
probably never seen before (yes I know they should use the mime type,
but it's not unheard of for them not to).

> Can we link that in the trace detail page or is there a good reason for
> not doing so?

I don't want to encourage people to use the uncompressed version unless
they have a good reason - it is really only there for potlatch.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/