[OSM-dev] Massive building import - thoughts

Rolf Bode-Meyer robome at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 13:47:28 GMT 2009

2009/2/7 Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at wolschon.biz>:

>> Assuming that most houses will have 4 nodes, you're talking about
>> importing roughly 10 million ways and 40 million nodes.
>
> I am not sure if this assumption is correct,
> thinking that most houses are in cities where
> 2 houses join a wall and thus we get a ratio of 2:1 instead of 4:1 .

I don't know if this is a showcase for the majority of the buildings
but I was quite horrified by a screenshot which has been posted to
talk: http://fredericbonifas.free.fr/building_housenumbers.png.
Have a look at http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.18868&lon=5.72431&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
and you'll see a lot more nodes per building.

Rolf