[OSM-dev] Massive building import - thoughts

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Sat Feb 7 14:21:42 GMT 2009

> I don't know if this is a showcase for the majority of the buildings
> but I was quite horrified by a screenshot which has been posted to
> talk: http://fredericbonifas.free.fr/building_housenumbers.png.
> Have a look at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.18868&lon=5.72431&zoom=17&layers=B000F
>TF and you'll see a lot more nodes per building.

Don't forget that this is in the center of a large city, where details of a
building are really interesting.

To give another estimation that this won't impact the database performance:
any of these buildings has less nodes than employees are employed in it or
persons living in it. So, we still probably won't get more that 2*60 million
nodes. Compared to 300 million nodes that exist already, it is not too much.

And even better: most parts of the database are organised spatially. So you
won't be affected more than a degree of latitude or longitude outside France
no matter how much nodes are added there.

Cheers,
Roland