[OSM-dev] Massive building import - thoughts

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:19:04 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Marc Schütz <schuetzm at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Freitag 06 Februar 2009 19:32:37 schrieb sly (sylvain letuffe):

In fact, we are just in early discussions about importing the
buildings. And some of us were unsure if such significant amount of
data would be supported/accepted/desirable by OSM. Thus the question
from Sylvain.

Only 60% of the municipalities are vectorized today and we estimate
the end of the process in 2010 or 2011. We already noticed that some
contributors created them manually, using the josm plugin.

We still have many points to clarify with the original data. For
instance, many small constructions are present (old wells, technical
cabinets (phone, gas, electrical, etc). And some are not defined
consistently over the territory (e.g. swimming pools, sometimes as
building, sometimes as water surface).
That's why some of us believe that the import should be done only
after a manual control on small imports (through josm). Some would
prefer a mass import corrected later.
And questions like existing buildings with valuable tags or the
addresses will make the process not so easy as some believed.

Pieren