[OSM-dev] Participation in gsoc 2009

Sebastian Spaeth sebastian at sspaeth.de
Thu Feb 12 09:35:37 GMT 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I did not want to create the impression that the students did something
> wrong; if it came across like that then I wish to apologize. I was a
> mentor with GSoc 2008 myself, and I think that "my" student - Mario who
> did the Osmarender front-end - did a very good job, but nevertheless his
> work did not resound with the project in the way I would have expected
> it to.

I agree, having been the GSoc admin for the OSM side, I think the
students were doing a terrific job and at least 2-3 out of 4 are still
active in the community. However, the appreciation or uptake by the
community was less enthusiastic, unfortunately.

Just to be upfront clear about it: I think OSM should participate at
GSoC again, but I am not going to handle it this year. I have plenty of
other duties and my time for OSM has been reduced even more since I own
an OpenMoko :-).

spaetz