[OSM-dev] Smallest possible package for OSM API

Robert Vollmert rvollmert-lists at gmx.net
Sun Feb 15 08:12:41 GMT 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 23:26, Kenn Sebesta wrote:
>> I'm a little confused about exactly what you are doing.  Will you be
>> pre-processing the OSM data on a "large" system with internet access,
>> then storing a subset on your small device?
>
> That's exactly what I'll be doing. Offline, I'll prepare the database
> and then store it on media, most likely an SD card or Compact Flash.
> Since it's unlikely that any one person will simultaneously need data
> for all major continents, I can split it into chunks that fit on
> whatever memory card is most economical to buy.

Most likely, you don't want your devices to know anything about the
API. You just use the API (or some other way) to get the data in XML
form, and you'll probably want to convert this to some format more
suited to your devices -- perhaps something like http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Binary_Format
. I also suggest to check out how some of the existing routing
applications store their data.

Cheers
Robert